Marka's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

F_50x66
Nov 06, 08

I HATE THIS BOOK!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 11: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen The book was quite insipid of kids being lost on an island. I hated too.

message 10: by Marka (new) - added it

Marka Ugh.I literally threw it across the room when I finished with it, and I am usually very respectful of books. The men I've mentioned this book to said things along the lines of, "that's totally what would happen. That's just how boys act." I can't relate to that kind of anti-civilizationism. Being without adult supervision doesn't automatically negate a lifetime of cultural upbringing.

Bobbie I had to read this in school. It was awful!!!!! Hate is not even strong enough word

message 8: by Loch (new) - added it

Loch ME TOO!!!

Bettsbubbles It seems that everyone that dislikes this book seems to have a problem with believing that without rules, humanity would decsend into savagery.
You'd be suprised at how quickly people can go from being civilised to being savages. The way that these boys just turned from choirboys into monsters was downright frightening.
This is one of the scariest books I have ever read, and when we read it in class last year, I just couldn't help but to think what would happen if my class was just dumped on a desert island.
We wouldn't all make it back, I'll tell you that.
If you think that humans aren't capable of doing what the boys did in Lord of the Flies, then you are incredibly naive. Humans might be capable of good - but they are also capable of immense evil. Just look at Hitler and Stalin.

message 6: by Loch (last edited Jun 07, 2011 07:16AM) (new) - added it

Loch It seems that everyone that dislikes this book seems to have a problem with believing that without rules, humanity would decsend into savagery.

I disagree. I don't think it's untrue - it's a record that's been proven countless times - but my reason for disliking this book is because I believe the significance of its message has been overvalued.

I don't need a second-rate novel to tell me that people are cunts.

message 5: by Inês (new)

Inês I read a sumary book of this one and i stay O_O OMG this is CHOCKING but i want to read it XD and we have a list in the school that we have to pick one book and this one of them! idk....

Henry Bellamy This one sentenced review is the best thing I have ever read concerning this book. I also hated it :/ I was expecting so much more from it.

message 3: by The (new) - rated it 1 star

The Bomber Heard good things about it but fell asleep twice while reading it. Was tempted to write boring on every page in permanent marker but it was a library book. Have to agree that you summed this book up in less than 5 words. :)

Jenny I cannot stand this book. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they made me read it in school THREE TIMES.

Jessica I hated this book so much. I was about halfway through (I read it for school) and since I bought it from another student it just split in half. Normally I would have been upset, but I was planning on giving it to someone else or a used book store or burning it anyway so I didn't really care at all.