scc101's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

U_50x66
Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: diy, cookbook, reviewed, library

WHAT I LIKED:
The author freely admits in the beginning that she doesn't always have time to make everything herself. Some weeks she does, but other weeks she just can't because there are too many things going on. And it's important to remember that you're not a failure or a sellout just because you can't meet your own super-high standards all the time.

Most recipes don't seen overly complicated with uncommon ingredients. There is use of a stand-mixer in multiple recipes, which I don't have but may be able to find my way around that obstacle.

She also presents information on how to freeze recipes. This was probably presented more as a time-saver, but it also helps me as a happily-single adult who cooks for one. I love that I can freeze some foods in appropriately sized portions to eat at a later date.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Every recipe is prefaced by a page-long essay retelling some story or sharing some memory. The book could have been much thinner and more focused if these little vignettes had been left out. In a scrapbook with recipes - great. In a published cookbook - not so much. Unnecessary, really.

As a person who only cooks for herself, it seems I wasn't the intended audience of this book. The serving sizes are much bigger than what I would need in most cases, especially for something that can't be frozen. I don't need four portions of hot chocolate...I just need one. It'd take me a long time to eat my way through 3.5 lbs of granola. And sometimes dividing by 4 (or whatever number) leads to some weird quantities. (As I mentioned in the previous part of this review, I'm glad there's info on freezing some of the recipes.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.