Meg's Reviews > Some Like It Hawk

Some Like It Hawk by Donna Andrews

7102068
Aug 07, 12

Read from July 31 to August 07, 2012

The citizens of Caerphilly have banded together to keep their town operating after the Evil Lender foreclosed on all the town's buildings. To give the town's economy a boost, Meg and her fellow craftsmen have capitalized on their misfortune of being "The Town That Mortgaged Its Jail" to hold the "Caerphilly Days" - a festival of the arts.

However, they have an ulterior motive. The town clerk has barricaded him in the city hall's basement and refuses to leave, even though the Evil Lender is now the owner of the building. The Evil Lender has hired a PI and "Flying Monkeys" (aka militaristic security guards) to figure out how Phineas Throckmorton has managed to survive in the basement for over a year, and they want to get him out! The town has a secret - under the festival's bandstand is a trap door hiding a civil war era tunnel going to the city hall basement! The festival keeps the tunnel a secret, while also providing the town with some much-needed tourist dollars.

Unfortunately, one of the Evil Lender's executives is found murdered just outside of Mr. Throckmorton's barricade -- all the signs point to him being the murderer. The townsfolk know better, and they work with Meg to uncover the truth behind the murder AND help their town get their buildings back.

Even though I have only read the first two Meg Langslow novels, I didn't feel lost at all in this installment (the 14th book!!!) The first two novels took place away from Caerphilly, so some of the main characters were completely new to me -- but there were still many of the same characters, of course all were Meg's relatives! This installment was definitely slightly more subdued when it came to the eccentric and bizarre. Even though it wasn't as crazy, it was still an awesome read - the series definitely has a long future ahead!

I found the plot strong, there weren't any drawn out moments that I wanted to skip. There also wasn't anything that left me feeling confused, the author did a wonderful job of covering her bases. My only complaint was the solution to the mystery... I just felt like more should have been explained. It made sense, but it was obvious there were details left for the reader to infer, details that would have been better to explain.

Even with an ending leaving me wanting more details, I throughly enjoyed the book and found myself buying the third installment to read my way through the rest of the series!

I received an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from the publisher, which has had no influence on my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Like It Hawk.

08/01/2012 page 26