Jenny's Reviews > The Qur'an: Arabic Text and English Translation

The Qur'an by Anonymous
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
228713
's review
Jun 28, 2012

did not like it
Read in July, 2004 — I own a copy

Due to all you religious nut jobs out there leaving bizarre comments I have had to take my review down. Go argue religion amongst yourselves on someone else's reviews. Thanks. - This book sucked. Just sayin.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Qur'an.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)


message 1: by Hassan (new) - added it

Hassan Khalifa DRAC :) , as you find quran book I advace you to fine the reason of having that on it , the AYA is not generaly , there's a story befor this surah ... there's always a littel story befor every surah , allah never hate Jésus-Christ or ibrahim he send them also to teache or fathers how to believe in one god


Jenny I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what your message is.


message 3: by Hassan (new) - added it

Hassan Khalifa DRAC Hi again : ) , I mean That there's always a story about every surha as ( Surah V:51 says,"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends" ) ,

friends here mean helping some one on war , as I understand from the story , a Muslim was with group of Christians war the team of mohamed ( the islam messager ) , and by time he regret and give up and back to mohamed then finaly ALLAH ( god ) said :

يا ايها الذين امنو لا تتخدو اليهود والنصارى اولياء بعضهم اولياء بعض

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends SOME FRINEDS OF SOME "

and by the way , ALLAH SAID " وقاتلوا في سبيل الله الذين يقاتلونكم ولا تعتدوا إن الله لا يحب المعتدين "

" Fight in the cause of God those who fight against you and do not transgress limits , Allah loveth not aggressors "


Jenny I'll have to disagree with you, Hassan. You interpret the text differently, but it clearly says what it says and I don't buy into any little story behind it. Sorry, man, but you're not going to change my opinion of this book.


message 5: by Hassan (new) - added it

Hassan Khalifa DRAC your opinion that's stay be your problem :) , I'm telling you what should anyone say about your misunderstanding , and the book is from ALLAH ( GOD ) and we are just poor people it's not easy to get allah words : )


Jenny You need to read the Hebrew/Gentile bible.


message 7: by Hassan (new) - added it

Hassan Khalifa DRAC it's all from the same god , so I don't have a problem with reading it but I allways put in my mind that it's distorted by humen


message 8: by Riobhcah (new) - added it

Riobhcah You are taking these verses out of context to justify what you want to believe. Stop listening to the media when they villify Islam and learn the good things that the Quran really is saying.


Jenny Rivqah wrote: "You are taking these verses out of context to justify what you want to believe. Stop listening to the media when they villify Islam and learn the good things that the Quran really is saying."

Please tell me then how in the f*** the following can be put into any kind of acceptable context:

Surah V:51 says,"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends"

Surah IV:34 says, "Men are the maintainers of women...and (as to) those on whose part you fear disertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping places and BEAT them."


message 10: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe And like the bible isn't any of those things you just discribed....just think about it first before you judge. How did you rate the bible I would like to know?


message 11: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe I could find those scriptures in the bible to jenny.


message 12: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe But I choose to believe in all. I follow all Abrahamic Religions. I Believe in Judeo-Christian-Islamic beliefs. Because they are all the same and its the same GOD. God may make life a trail for faith. but Love he give us freely and teaches it from the from the beginning, it is us who wonders off.


message 13: by Joe (last edited Oct 03, 2011 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe I'm so glad that mine isn't an opinion, its Experience.. As a follower of all 3 Abrahamic Religions. you should watch what you say cause they mirror one another and what you say of one you say of all 3 (Christian, Islamic, Jewish Religions). I dare you to read all 3 books with an open mind and love (Bible, Tanakh - Old Testament Hebrew translation, and Quran), ask God to show you the Truth. As someone with experience with all 3 books, God is universal and he is the same one. Good luck on your quest for the truth and your Power Greater Than You (GOD). My blessings are with you. And I am sorry you don't care, That's whats wrong with this world.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation." -by Herbet Spencer


Maryam I haven't read this book. Nor do I plan on it. But my comment is directed to Rivqah:
You're not just allowed to say that someone is quoting religious text "out of context" just because it doesn't fit with your opinion regarding your "Holy Text".
You're just not. That's not how it works. Bye.


message 15: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam ^uhh. yes it is.
You can quote anything out of context, and if we're treating this as a book, then you've quoted a message from the book out of context from the rest of it.

Personally, Jenny's decision to post this review in this form shows nothing but intolerance on her part. Regardless of her opinion of the book as a narrative, she should have thought a little bit about how important it is to other people before recommending it for "misogynists and anti-semitics and anyone wanting to justify violence". How she could not expect to get flack for that is beyond me.


message 16: by Riobhcah (new) - added it

Riobhcah In the verse you quoted about taking Jews and Christians as friends, it means that you should depend on no one but God himself. Whereas humans often let you down, He never will. People comment on the Qur'an without knowing its true meaning.


IVORY Hanz read it completely!!


message 18: by Menna (new) - added it

Menna Alashker Your opinion :) I personally think that if I believe in this Holly Book ---
which I do--- I am not going to tell you that you're wrong and you can't say that and such.First because, like I said before, its your opinion.And also because I do believe in this book -Qu'ran. Surah (109) tells the story about when the people of Mecka asked Prophet Mohamed to try their religion for a year and they would try his. He told them if you don't wish to learn about Islam then I mean you no harm. Not the same exact quotation, I didn't memorize it in English but anyway what I'm saying is ,if that's what you believe so be it. That quote you mentioned has a story behind it. Honestly, I don't know what the story is, but I'm gonna dig for it. Qu'ran is much clearer in Arabic. But, I think you only looked at the things you didn't like and thought were offending. There are much more quotations in Qu'ran that are amazing. My opinion ;)


Mohammed If this was truly the word of an infallible God you wouldn't need fallible human beings to explain the words to you. ;)


Yossra Ahmad Sameh i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matter how hard i try you won't listen ....its out of my hands really if you and many people share a certain opinion .


Mohammed Yossra wrote: "i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matter how hard i try you won't listen ....its out of my hands real..."

Sorry I prefer if God himself did that. You're a human being I can't trust you to explain to me infallible concepts.


message 22: by Yossra (last edited Apr 22, 2012 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matter how hard i try you won't listen ....its out o..."

well God has already explained it all , its not my problem you don't understand it ... why are you even arguing aren't you a muslim ?


Mohammed Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matter how hard i try you won't lis..."

God didn't explain anything, there's a book that claims that God explained everything. I'm agnostic and an ex-Muslim.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matter how hard i try..."

Well Mohammed thats very sad , the truth is there's a verse for that actually , surprisingly i was just reading it " وَقَالُوا قُلُوبُنَا فِي أَكِنَّةٍ مِّمَّا تَدْعُونَا إِلَيْهِ وَفِي آذَانِنَا وَقْرٌ وَمِن بَيْنِنَا وَبَيْنِكَ حِجَابٌ فَاعْمَلْ إِنَّنَا عَامِلُونَ"


Mohammed Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "i think ur miss-interpreting the meanings i would gladly explain each one to you . but the thing is , i truly do believe that no matt..."

Well if your God was fair he would let all those who do good deeds into heaven regardless of whether they believe in him or not.

Sorry to disappoint you, but an eternity in heaven is quite boring actually.

Cheers.


message 26: by Menna (new) - added it

Menna Alashker And an eternity in hell is worst.


Kristina B Menna wrote: "Your opinion :) I personally think that if I believe in this Holly Book ---
which I do--- I am not going to tell you that you're wrong and you can't say that and such.First because, like I said bef..."


Menna wrote: "And an eternity in hell is worst."

I agree absolutely :)


Mohammed Threatening people with an eternity in hell will not change their minds. That's an argument from fear. It's a very pathetic attempt to force them to believe by scaring them that their flesh will burn forever if they don't believe. Poor Muslim children how they're brainwashed and conditioned by fear and threats, then you claim to be "open-minded".

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_t...


message 29: by Menna (new) - added it

Menna Alashker I'm not trying to scare you about hell or heaven or whatever. I'm just saying that it's all about decisions. I'm not threatening you. Why would I?! And just for the record, I'm not being brainwashed by anybody. That's just sick. I can do whatever I want. I'm a human being with a mind and a heart to think and feel. I don't need anybody to think or feel for me. And if I wasn't convinced by Islam and God and Qu'ran then I wouldn't be here posting this comment.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "Threatening people with an eternity in hell will not change their minds. That's an argument from fear. It's a very pathetic attempt to force them to believe by scaring them that their flesh will bu..."

you think we're doing what we're doing because we're scared??!!?!?!? honestly you can't call yourself an ex-muslim because obviously you never were one ... personally i do the right thing because its right and because God gave us all something inside of us to realize what is right and what is wrong ...and your honestly ok with thieves , rapists and murderers and all sorts of criminals being equally treated with good people? i honestly think its completely unfair ..good people will be rewarded and bad people will be punished , you see the punishment part while i see the reward part ...if you were a parent you would know exactly what this means ...Allah is the most merciful and most just .


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Menna wrote: "I'm not trying to scare you about hell or heaven or whatever. I'm just saying that it's all about decisions. I'm not threatening you. Why would I?! And just for the record, I'm not being brainwashe..."

i agree with you on the free will part "وَلَوْ شَاء رَبُّكَ لآمَنَ مَن فِي الأَرْضِ كُلُّهُمْ جَمِيعًا أَفَأَنتَ تُكْرِهُ النَّاسَ حَتَّى يَكُونُواْ مُؤْمِنِينَ" i think this verse says it all ..i would translate it but i'm not good enough .


Mohammed It's simple. If you're God were fair he wouldn't judge us on our belief of him. If Allah is the most just he would judge people on their goodwill and treatment of others even if they didn't believe in him.

But he's not.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "It's simple. If you're God were fair he wouldn't judge us on our belief of him. If Allah is the most just he would judge people on their goodwill and treatment of others even if they didn't believe..." seriously ?he created you , gave you everything you have made you breathe everyday healthy and fine , no problems ....mainly alive and one thing he asks back from you , to believe and you think its too much? i just think you're escaping from everything i say even if its true .


Mohammed Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "It's simple. If you're God were fair he wouldn't judge us on our belief of him. If Allah is the most just he would judge people on their goodwill and treatment of others even if th..."

Even if we assume he created me why should he force me to believe in him? If I had a son I wouldn't care if he disowned me or not or loved me or not as long as he's a good person and does good deeds. Seems to me your God is selfish and has superiority complex. :(


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "It's simple. If you're God were fair he wouldn't judge us on our belief of him. If Allah is the most just he would judge people on their goodwill and treatment of ot..."

seems to me you need something to believe in desperately ...if i had a son , i would want him to be good and i would want him to love and respect me not pretend i'm not even there and completely ignore everything i've done for him , i'd want him to be thankful and thats just me . on the other hand Allah doesn't force you to anything , if you don't wanna believe fine ....if God truly was as mean and horrible he would make you believe , if you read the verse i added (obviously didn't ) it states it clearly , i'll try to translate : "and if your God wished all on earth would believe , will you force people to become believers ?" it was meant for a prophet to question his need to make everyone believe , he was trying so hard so Allah told him not to ...because you an't force them , i can't force you to believe as long as you don't want to :/


Mohammed I don't need to believe in anything actually. I was merely pointing to the selfish God of yours who wants to put anyone to doesn't believe in him in hell even if they're good.

Keep trying.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh you're not listening which makes everything i say pointless , i didn't expect you too anyway ...i'll just say one last thing Allah doesn't just throw anyone in hell he send bad people there and "bad " and "good" may differ between what i believe and what you believe , you make think something as two unmarried people have a relationship normal but to us its wrong so that makes them" not so good "based on this there are a lot of relativity which i can't say i am aware of ...its also very clear that those who go to heaven don't go cuz they're awesome or anything (because there isn't a human who is perfect , every one has got to make mistakes) people go to heaven because Allah is merciful and will let them .


Mohammed > because Allah is merciful and will let them .

So merciful he wants to fry in hell all those don't believe in him. Gotcha.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "> because Allah is merciful and will let them .

So merciful he wants to fry in hell all those don't believe in him. Gotcha."


you know you represent to me everything i hate about humans , the fact that we take and we take and we take and when we're asked for simple things we start to question everything "why should i ? " , "what happens if i don't? " , "if God was wonderful he'd just let me be without asking for nothing " ...your just a reminder of how selfish and arrogant we are .


Mohammed Well sorry to disappoint you, but I can't worship such a selfish God who wants to fry me forever in fire.

Bye.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Mohammed wrote: "Well sorry to disappoint you, but I can't worship such a selfish God who wants to fry me forever in fire.

Bye."
you know you're just repeating yourself over and over again , i think you're out of things to say .


Mohammed Yossra wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Well sorry to disappoint you, but I can't worship such a selfish God who wants to fry me forever in fire.

Bye." you know you're just repeating yourself over and over again , i thi..."


Not really, it's just I can't worship a God that wants to fry me forever in hell even though I could be a good person in my life.

I think you say a lot of things but without value.

Bye.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh whatever .


message 44: by Menna (new) - added it

Menna Alashker Well. Bye to you too. If you believe that you shouldn't believe....then don't.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Menna wrote: "Well. Bye to you too. If you believe that you shouldn't believe....then don't."

he just escaped :/


Mohammed Awww :'(


Yossra Ahmad Sameh what ? its true you did . and you have nothing new to add so ..


message 48: by Menna (last edited Apr 23, 2012 05:29AM) (new) - added it

Menna Alashker You see, if I told him that he's doing the wrong thing or goin' to hell or whatever it's not exactly gonna help. I'm not that the one to judge. If you don't except Islam then I have no right to do anything but advise him. I can't force him or threaten him 'cause if I do then really I'm not a Muslim.


Yossra Ahmad Sameh Menna wrote: "You see, if I told him that he's doing the wrong thing or goin' to hell or whatever it's not exactly gonna help. I'm not that the one to judge. If you don't except Islam then I have no right to do ..."
exactly , though i don't think its about Islam only . i think he just refuses the idea of God .


message 50: by Menna (new) - added it

Menna Alashker Yossra wrote: "Menna wrote: "You see, if I told him that he's doing the wrong thing or goin' to hell or whatever it's not exactly gonna help. I'm not that the one to judge. If you don't except Islam then I have n..."

Then that's denial. I'm not sure how you deal with that


« previous 1
back to top