Elizabeth's Reviews > The Maid

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

Jul 17, 2012

bookshelves: read-reviewed
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

I really enjoyed this - while the writing wasn't terribly complex or deep, the subject matter was incredible, and I felt that the author did an extremely good job of depicting Joan of Arc's life (and death). Joan was portrayed as being extremely human - she wavered back and forth between fear and bravery, doubt and confidence, peace and rage.

Her fears and doubts were extremely plausible given her situation, and overall the subject matter was treated gracefully and with great care (especially the subtle dance around whether or not she was raped toward the end of her life while she was imprisoned). Additionally, I really loved the way that the author switched back and forth between first and third person; it's something that I would have thought would annoy me, but in all actuality, it was well done and made the character that much more accessible and human.

Definitely a good read, and a book I might actually return to and read through again in the future, because I found it fairly fascinating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid.