Katie Sheldrake's Reviews > Black Heart Blue

Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid

Jul 17, 12

I think I wept most of the way through this. It made reading it more difficult. This is my only criticism.

I love the writing styles that Louisa Reid's adopts for the two girls. They contrast and complement each other perfectly to give a rounded and full emotional background to their horrific upbringing. She switches between these two narrators throughout the book to really explore the range of emotions that might be experienced in such an extreme situation, and the book deals wonderfully with the personae and mental barriers that the girls have put up in order to handle their emotional trauma.

It wouldn't be a review if I didn't mention The Father. The Father who gave me genuine nightmares - OOH there we go, another criticism. He is the scariest character I have read in such a long time, I think it is a fantastic achievement. He seems to be this omnipresent monster that is truly haunting, certainly for the girls whose every action or thought is filled with the fear of him.

It's great reading and (without spoiling the ending too much) is a very hopeful and wonderful story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart Blue.