Dan Schwent's Reviews > Captain America: Winter Soldier

Captain America by Ed Brubaker

Jul 17, 2012

bookshelves: comics, 2012
Read on July 24, 2012

The Red Skull acquires a Cosmic Cube, only to be murdered before he can use it and the killer seems to be someone Captain America thought dead since World War II. Can Captain America and Agent 13 unravel the mystery of the Winter Soldier and the Cosmic Cube before whomever possesses the Cube gets a chance to use it?

Fresh off of reading Gotham Central, I was ready for more Brubaker and I sure got it! When I first started reading Ed Brubaker last century with A Complete Lowlife, I had no idea he'd be one of the top guys in comics.

Back in the day, there were two Marvel books I held above all others. Forget about X-Men or anything featuring Wolverine's over-exposed ass. They were the Fantastic Four and Captain America. I have most of Mark Gruenwald's run on Cap, as well as a few issues in the early 100 range. Will Brubaker's run eclipse Gruenwald's in my eyes? It already has.

Brubaker's run kicks off with a bang. The Red Skull is dead and Bucky is alive? Wow. Most of the rest of the story is Captain America coming to grips with the fact that Bucky is the Winter Soldier, an assassin working for the Russians, and searching for the Cosmic Cube.

I thought the flashbacks really helped make the story. Bucky kicking ass whenever he showed up, only to fade away again, helped build the suspense to the inevitable showdown with Captain America.

Any gripes? Only that the confrontation I waited twelve issues for was pretty quick. This is right on the edge of being a five star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain America.

07/24/2012 page 200
02/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Supposedly this is the story for the sequel to last year's movie. Glad to know you liked it.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Brandon wrote: "Supposedly this is the story for the sequel to last year's movie. Glad to know you liked it."

It's not as good as Gotham Central but pretty close.

Nikki I need to get my hands on this. It's Cap: I'll like it.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Nikki wrote: "I need to get my hands on this. It's Cap: I'll like it."

It's very good. I plan on wolfing down Brubaker's other Cap omnibuses as I find them.

message 5: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 I immediately pictured the cosmic cube as a rubics cube and that suddenly made it a lot less cosmic.