Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > Boyfriend from Hell

Boyfriend from Hell by Jamie Quaid

Sep 21, 12

Read from July 17 to 19, 2012

First off, that chick on the cover is way to thin….she needs a hamburger and a large milk shake b/c I’m pretty sure she has a Barbie waistline and that just ain’t cool. Having said that she looks pretty fierce and they did a decent job matching the girl to the book….though later in the book. You’ll understand in a minute, hold on.

Tina is your average woman with a limp, weird teeth and mousey brown hair who no one ever notices. She is working toward a law degree she’ll never get because of a sketchy past, including a cop and a riot and her now mangled leg. Even knowing it would take a miracle to expunge her record she plows ahead in her studies and works hard to pay her bills. She works in “The Zone”, a part of Baltimore thick with past chemical spills and a area normal people have written off as dangerous. Those that live there seem to enjoy being outsiders and aren’t stunned when strange occurrences happen. Tina lives nearby and while she certainly notices buildings changing color and money disappearing out of her bag, she has wrote it off as quirkiness until her loving boyfriend tries to mow her down with her own car. She screams about him burning in hell…and pouf, the car explodes. Wow. I need some of that power. I mean, not that the guy deserved to burn in hell because all things are revealed later but….with that power you could scare the crap out of people. I like to scare the crap out of people. I digress.

As Tina gets backed in to walls and damns people to hell she grows prettier. Which is equal parts horrible and awesome. Let’s face it, some of the people that attempt to hurt her deserve to lick the flames in the bowels of hell for all eternity. While she starts out looking like a frumpy unfashionable unattractive woman, she ends up looking….well like that unnaturally thin cover girl up there. Smoking hot and now everyone seems to be looking at her or for her. She goes from driving a crappy old car to hauling ass on a motorcycle. Her whole demeanor changes over the course of the book. Her anger management issues stir up trouble on a continuous basis and she often bites off more then she can chew, which allows for some pretty snarky dialogue that kept me laughing. I am curious to see what the consequences are for using her power as the books move forward. Nothing is free and I have a feeling that the price of her new body will be a steep one.

Boyfriend From Hell is primarily UF and so the love story in this one is light but just enough to keep those romance junkies happy. She’s able to communicate with her dead boyfriend through mirrors and it seems to be much stronger the closer she is to The Zone which adds to the speculation of what the area and Tina herself are. She misses him and though he was lying to her, wants to help him solve his murder and figure out the secrets to The Zone and it’s inhabitants. One of those inhabitants is her boss and he is equal parts strange and alluring. He’s tough, shadowy and surprises me with his spontaneous tenderness. I enjoyed their push and pull throughout the book as each tries to deny their attraction to each other.

Even with all the weirdness of The Zone, Tina and her rag tag group of friends know that can’t be all of it. Though they may all have their quirks Tina can damn people to hell and that’s not taken lightly. I can’t wait to read more about the Saturn’s Daughter lore because that was only touched upon lightly in this book. I would have liked more info on that but I will patiently wait for the next one and hope I have a better understanding then. Boyfriend From Hell gives more questions then answers and as a first in a new series I’m okay with that as long as I don’t have to wait forever for the next one. Filled with action, snark and darkness, I definitely enjoyed this one! Quaid’s remarkable storytelling is top notch!

I give Boyfriend From Hell by Jamie Quaid 4.50 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend from Hell.

07/18/2012 page 301

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Inti I think the girl on the cover is perfect with sexy thick thighs. She has the body of dancer. My fat sister thinks everyone needs a burger too. It just sounds bitter.

message 2: by Mandi (new)

Mandi That whole detailed, witty and rather glowing review and that's what you focused on, the skinny chick on the cover?! Don't take it so personally doll, unless of course you're the cover model! If that's the case you need to go eat a cheeseburger bc you're the one that sounds bitter!

message 3: by Rae (new)

Rae I thought it was a good review, why are both of you focusing on the first sentence of it? Too many words for you to get through the rest of it?

message 4: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Obviously you didn't read what I wrote because if you had you would see that I said it was a detailed, witty and rather glowing review. Clearly I'm not the one that can't handle more than a couple of words strung together.

Inti your first line is the first impression people will draw. Why would I bother reading the rest when it starts off like the rant of an embittered fat chick? But if it makes you feel better to think that a registered reader on goodreads can't handle a couple words strung together rather than admit that opening was in poor taste, go ahead. Clearly, I'm not the one that can't handle seeing the picture of fit, sexy woman on a book cover.