Andrea Peterson's Reviews > The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from July 17 to September 29, 2012

This book kind of reminds me of Sharon Shinn's Samaria books, so if you enjoyed those you would probably go for this as well. Overall I liked it. The plot, characterization, and worldbuilding were decent, and it was pretty fun trying to spot the parallels to Hans Christian Andersen. But the final resolution felt a bit... I don't know, too easy or lacking in tension. And the most interesting character for me was Arienrhod herself, so I kind of wish the story had spent more time with her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Queen.

07/17/2012 page 67
15.0% "So far the writing style seems a bit cheesy, with overly florid descriptions of people's eyes and some awkward "as you know, Bob" exchanges. But I think I'm getting into the story. And the Hans Christian Andersen elements are a lot more obvious than I thought they'd be based on the description."
08/08/2012 page 172
38.0% "We to a planet of Yoda-speakers have come! Why would you dialogue like this write? Please, us out of here get before I my eyes out claw! And whenever I start to think that the book has diverged from the fairy tale and gone off on its own track, I suddenly realize, "hey, this character is the witch in the garden!" or "this character is probably going to be the wise princess!" It's kind of fun."