Montserrat's Reviews > And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street

And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: childrens

I remembered books such as When the Grinch Stole Christmas and Green Eggs and Ham from my childhood, but the first time I happened upon this was in my local library last week.

Theodor Seuss Geisel's first children's book is a charming 'tall tale' about the power of imagination. It tells the story of Marco, a boy heading home from school who has promised to tell his father what he sees on the way back. He spots a horse and cart going down the street, and, upon deciding it's too uninteresting a story to tell, he starts to embellish. Marco's creations are fairly modest at first - he imagines a zebra is pulling the cart, which in turn becomes an elephant. However, his tale quickly becomes more and more fantastical; including a brass band, an aeroplane and a police escort.

The story zips merrily along at a cracking pace, thanks to Dr Seuss' clever use of rhyme and is sure to delight children and adults alike. It was written in 1937, and the fact that it is still read today is a testament to the entertainment value of Dr Seuss' works. The book cover said it's suitable for ages 3-8, but I think it would be best read aloud to the youngest children as it's a little more complex and not as easily accessible as some of his later books such as the Cat in the Hat. It would be perfect to read aloud to a class as a fun activity. It could also tie in well to a creative writing activity where children write a poem or story using their wildest imaginations. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's inspired me to seek out some more of Seuss' lesser-known books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street.