Alison's Reviews > The Other Side

The Other Side by Terry Tyler

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from July 17 to 27, 2012

Interesting book that uses an unusual technique to tell the story of four very different women. The book opens in the present - Katya is manager of an exclusive Gift shop and wot settle for second best whatever the cost; Cathy is tired of being judged by the in laws from hell; Alexa is worried that a "friend" is after her husband; and Sandie is disappearing into an alcoholic hole.

We then see the women a few years earlier, and a few years earlier, and a few years earlier, and start to understand more about their lives and the decisions they've made.

The book has a "what if" element about it - what if I'd done this instead of that?

I admit I found the structure confusing for a long while - I kept forgetting who was who and mixing people up (you'll understand when you read it!) and I did wonder why this particular "backwards" structure had been used - but towards the end you realise there really was no other way to do it, and it all makes sense eventually!

An interesting book with good strong characters and a satisfying ending - though I did find myself wanting to know how everyone's story ended!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side.