Krisi Keley's Reviews > Blood of Anteros

Blood of Anteros by Georgia Cates

Jul 20, 12

Read on July 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Although I don’t think it would be fair for me to give a rated review of this book for the significant reason stated below, I don’t think it’s unfair to let readers know that I certainly can’t call it a fresh or original take on vampires either, as some reviewers have, and this is why:

This (September 2011 published) story of a conflicted and self-despising French (in this case French-American, since born in New Orleans) vampire who has difficulty achieving his “second death” (what at least one author might call “full death”) in which his soul passes on to heaven, who doesn’t desire sexual relationships with mortals but who is tantalized by a mysterious human girl who turns out to be his celestially-made (not angelic per se, but close) soulmate (here, Agápe) who makes him feel more human than he did when human, who inspires in him very unfamiliar physical feelings, and with whom he apparently shares a relationship deeper than that of a wife sounds frightfully similar to a (May 2010 published) novel I’m very, very familiar (one might even suggest personally acquainted) with, although, despite some lines that seem not terribly far short of verbatim in their resemblance to said familiar novel, this version comes across like it could have been written by someone who read, but didn’t really understand (or maybe didn’t agree with), the original. The author’s assertion that the soulmate’s relationship with the vampire is like Christ’s (sacrificial) love for man is not the only seemingly telling allusion besides those above and, though its strange mix of Judeo-Christian ideas with polytheistic religion/mythology gives it an unusual and difficult to comprehend slant, there are still a disturbing number of similarities between this novel and the earlier published one: the vampire’s unusual feelings for the human girl/soulmate, the girl having dreamed of him as a child and her ability to sense his presence, her family dying in a car accident, a vampire brother (only vampirically, rather than literally so, in the other book of which I speak) who is a possible threat to the soulmate, scenes of one person sharing memories with another through touch, etc.

While it’s certainly not impossible that two authors might have a similar overall idea, the specific nature of a number of different similarities, combined with some of the wording, makes this type of coincidental resemblance between two books a little harder to imagine, especially when there are a couple of story elements that also seem to have been closely inspired by yet another, much more famous, vampire book, namely Twilight. Amazing coincidence or not, I have no way of knowing, but it is certainly interesting to note that reviewers of another of this author's books, Going Under, said it was "just like" a 2008 novel called Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. So, though they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it doesn’t really seem that way when a novel is presented as having a whole new concept about vampires, yet sounds strikingly similar to a novel you wrote 15 years ago and had published a year and a half before this one, especially when another book by the same author coincidentally resembles a previously published book.

Because I don’t want this to come across as one writer trying to do any kind of underhanded, stealth self-promo for her own books or for it to seem that I may be being overly-sensitive on what is already the hazy line between somewhat similar ideas in fiction and what are called “substantial similarities,” I haven’t mentioned the name of my own books, but I will include those, as well as some examples of where the similarities, for me, seem either too close or there are too many of them for coincidence, but will put these things under a “spoiler” warning, so readers can choose or choose not to see the name of the other book, compare the similarities and decide for themselves on the subject of coincidence.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of Anteros.