Camille's Reviews > Within Reach

Within Reach by Sarah Mayberry

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-mf

Why was it just okay for me?

* I felt that Angie sacrificed too much of her self in giving and giving to Michael. I understand she was being empathetic and really cared for him and her best friend's family, but she shortchanged herself so much and allowed Michael to do the same.

* In shortchanging Angie, I agreed with Michael's assessment of himself in a rare moment of clarity: He was indeed being an asshole.

* The story is very interiorised. Most of the book is comprised of the internal thoughts and feelings of Michael and Angie as they navigate their burgeoning relationship. Not only is the majority of the book's setting located within the main characters' heads but the reader is overwhelmingly told and not shown. It's all very dictational and creates a remove between reader and character. I could not invest really in these two protagonists.

* All of their going on about experiencing guilt over their desire becomes monotonous and boring. This compounds the inability to really feel for Michael and Angie. One is too busy hoping they'd just get their stuff together if only to be relieved of the unchanging mental monologues.

* I didn't believe their love.

* I know writers have obsessions and revelatory trademark characterisations, character behavioural patterns and plot devices et al render these perceptible to readers of more than one book of an author's. I felt that I could too easily distinguish some of Mayberry's tried and trues in this work and that takes me out of a book.

* After Her Best Worst Mistake by Sarah Mayberry this didn't move me.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Within Reach.

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami I agree with most of your points! Glad to see one other person who doesn't think this one as amazing.

Camille Glad to have good, discerning company :-)

Lyuda I had exactly the same reservations about this book. Glad to see i am not alone.

Camille Lyuda wrote: "I had exactly the same reservations about this book. Glad to see i am not alone."

Cheers to that.