Alison Looney's Reviews > Life's a Beach

Life's a Beach by Claire Cook

Nov 06, 08

How do chick lit heroines have so much luck starting small businesses? They turn their kitchens into gourmet cake bakeries, they become personal shoppers for old people, they walk dogs, and, in this case, they make sea glass earrings. Out here in the real world, these jobs might net spare change in exchange for long, grueling hours. But chick lit ladies always end up financially independent and personally fulfilled.

I'm not anti-happy ending. The problem is these protagonists also nab the unexpected man of their dreams and work out all of their family issues. It's like the author can't stop heaping rewards on the heroines they over-identify with.

I grabbed this book because I was in need of something light and easy - election day festivities were taking their toll the next morning. But it's more flimsy than light, more redundant than easy. No point in reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life's a Beach.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridgett (new) - added it

Bridgett lol.. i am always wondering the exact same thing! i got it for free, but now don't think i will read it...

Lori It's called fiction, that's how.

Beth Sexton Well some of us work hard and make it on our own after 20 years in a cubicle I left, and am doing my own thing and making more than ever. Most of the time people are afraid to make the leap and it is easier to stay employed in a job you hate or stay unemployed and whine than it is to roll up your sleaves and go to work for yourself! See me in the graduation gown that was at 50 and raising 5 children!

Sally So true! It happens for some people, but not everyone is successful...great review!

Karen I LOVE this book. It inspired me to follow my creative side and start

Karen (continued)
thinking in terms of creating for a living. I think it's an awesome story with witty dialogue.

Susan I have often wondered that too. I just go with it.