Renae's Reviews > The Telling

The Telling by Leah Giarratano

Jul 16, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

Just finished reading this one for work, so it's not the usual book I'd reach for. It's aimed at young adult readers, so the writing is a little simplistic for my taste, but I have to admit, I did find it entertaining, and I really want to read the next book in the trilogy when it's published.

I found some of the events a little cliche, especially after watching series like 'Heroes' and 'Misfits', where young people come into special 'supernatural' powers. It seems that it's getting harder to do that storyline in a fresh way now.

What is interesting about this book is it's various settings, with a good portion of the action taking place in Sydney, Australia - a rare treat for a local reader like myself. The book is also structured in a way that makes dipping in and out possible - but there's a hook at the end of each and every chapter to maintain the suspense.

I think my younger self would have definitely given this more stars. If you're looking for a gift for younger readers who like Twilight, Hunger Games, Shades of Grey etc...this would also fit the bill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Telling.