Regina Andreassen's Reviews > Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter

Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa

Jul 16, 2012

liked it
I own a copy

Aunt Julia and The Scriptwriter is a semi-autobiographical novel which I read in both Spanish and English. It is not Vargas Llosa greatest achievement but it is good enough to deserve a positive review.

There are two well defined stories here. The first one is Mario's affair with his aunt and the second one is Pedro Camacho's story and his radio soap-operas. The latter one touch me deeply.

A merit of this book is Mario's ability to portray Lima's society and middle-class Limeans interactions efficiently. I have to emphasize the fact that Mario Vargas LLosa's novel is not mysoginistic at all. Those who believe that are either oversensitive or haven't read it properly. Mario describes his own perception of the situation because he is part of it. If we agreed with him or not is up to us, but it is his novel, and just because one of the 'negatives' -or perhaps is better if we say less likeable- character is a woman, it doesn't mean he sees women in general negatively. Women too write about men and their characterisations of the latter ones are ofter harsh and biased; therefore, it is fair to say that we are all entitled to make our own judgements without people assuming they know more about our feelings of a situation in which we were involved than what we do and judging us according to their own, erroneous perceptions .

For those who do not know much of Mario Vargas LLosa's life, let me tell you that he is now married to Patricia, her cousin, and they are a solid, happy couple.

Aun Julia and the scripwriter is not a brilliant novel but is humorous, entertaining, meaningful, and touching too. Remember also that this is one of his first literay works, but his style has improved greatly; thus, his Nobel prize is well deserved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter.