Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > A Sure-Fire Cure

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick, publishersent
Read in July, 2012

Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

3.5 Stars

I’ll admit, the cover for this book drew me in. When I read the synopsis, I knew it was one I wanted to read and review. Who can resist a celibate veterinarian or a lonely horse breeder? Not me, that’s for sure!

Dean Conlon is the new veterinarian in town; he’s proving himself to be very competent and well liked. He spends the majority of his time working and caring for his patients. Having been betrayed by his only long term lover and cut out of his family by his prominent father, Dean doesn’t trust anyone.

Scott Whittaker is a local man and well known horse breeder. He pretty much keeps to himself but has been restless, wanting more in his life. When he wakens Dean one night with a medical emergency it becomes quite evident that there is some major chemistry between these two men.

Dean is very resistant to Scott’s advances and given his past it’s understandable. Scott remains pretty patient and soon they are enjoying lunches together and getting to know each other better. I liked watching Dean struggle and finally give in to his growing attraction to Scott. Once they do begin a physical relationship it is hot, sexy, and at times a battle for control. I’ll admit this is one reason I enjoy reading M/M stories is because while there always seems to be a dominate partner at some point testosterone takes over and the lines are blurred.

In addition to the growing relationship between these two men, there’s a stalker plot that was far too predictable for me, and the ongoing conflict between Dean and his father. I really didn’t understand why Dean put up with his father’s verbal abuse; he’s smart, well educated, self reliant, and yet he still lets the man get to him. There were some other “sub plots” that just seemed thrown in there that personally didn’t add to or advance the story. I honestly would have liked to see more of Dean and Scott figuring out their feelings than these seemingly unnecessary story lines.

That being said, I did enjoy the story of Dean and Scott. It’s always nice when two people find each other when they aren’t looking and I loved that they took some time to build their relationship before jumping into the “I love you, let’s move in together” stage. Dean and Scott were both well written; I enjoyed their honesty, humor, and obvious love for one another. This is my first book by this author, but I will be checking out her other offering soon as I found this one entertaining and enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sure-Fire Cure.