Chloe Sanders's Reviews > Donorboy

Donorboy by Brendan Halpin

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: eng-356-5-8-2012
Read in July, 2012

Okay, so I had some weird looks from my roommates when they read the back of this book. But you know what? WHO CARES! Donorboy is about a 14 year girl who has both her LESBIAN (shocking! I know...) mothers killed in a car accident. She goes to live with her sperm donor father. The ensuing story is hilarious but also very touching. What I enjoyed while reading this was the format the story was told in. The entire book is told through corresponding emails / text messages / recorded conversation transcripts / etc. I could relate to both Rosalind and her newly found father Sean. Both have no idea what they are doing and its hilarious! They play phrase bingo while in the principals office because Rosalind broke some kids nose. Also something that made me laugh is how Rosalind always talks about how horrible and stupid the invention of the Turducken is. At first I was slightly confused and interested in why she hated turducken so much, only to find out it was a meat truck carrying turduckens that crushed her mothers. Not really funny in the traditional sense, but when reading about it from Rosalinds perspective in her grief journal (which she non-affectionately nicknames Fluffy) it is pretty entertaining. I loved this book, and would love to recommend it to others.

Language: A lot! Most of the book comes from journal entry's written by a grief stricken girl who just lost both her parents.

Sex: No actual sex, but there is a lot of talk about sexuality.

Violence: Ros punches a kid in the face, breaks his nose, blood goes everywhere. Thats about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Donorboy.