Jeffrey's Reviews > Where to Invade Next

Where to Invade Next by Stephen Elliott

Nov 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

The world is a scary place, all around, and reading this book makes me wonder if we all won't be at war with each other forever. A brief read, but interesting, although its presentation as an actual government abstract confuses what it's saying - is it being ironic, and we shouldn't invade these countries? And if it's saying we shouldn't, why not spend some time offering ways to avoid conflict? How about a 'Where not to invade next'?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where to Invade Next.

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam I got this and was so creeped out by it I decided not to read it - goodreads should have a "NOT to read" category so I can put this book in it.

I think this kind of satire cuts too close and ends up being depressing, not funny at all. Kind of how I can't sit through a whole episode of The Office. There's such at thing as TOO black for me.

Reminds me of how Tim Robbins refused to release a soundtrack for Bob Roberts because he knew that some people would take his ironically conservative folk music at face value, and he didn't want to add fuel to their fire.