Daniel's Reviews > Children in Reindeer Woods

Children in Reindeer Woods by Kristín Ómarsdóttir

Jul 16, 12

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

Imagine a hike in Reindeer Woods.

The sky is clear. Creatures creep and call and chatter around you, complemented by small and sometimes irritating insect doings. You wear a backpack that is well-stocked. You are rested, and you feel ready to walk for many hours. Beside you are some new acquaintances. You listen to what they have to say, and you ponder what has been said. You have every intention of making the most of this shared experience, and of keeping these people in memory.

Together, you walk through Reindeer Wood. Everything is sharp and distinct beneath a clear sky. New smells reach you, some of them pungent, and at times you stop and linger at the edge of these new miasmas, sampling with care. Parsing this different sensation.

The way starts to steepen. The more your companions talk--which is not often--the less you understand them. You offer, Hey, let's take this hill together. No one listens. In fact, some of them take off in different directions without a word or a gesture. Eventually, they step back onto the path--again, without commentary. In time, you grow used to these erratic peregrinations; sometimes, you don't even realize if someone is around or not.

The sky is darkening, and still you walk. A few signs along the way suggested an inchoate direction or destination, but the path has since become overgrown by plants and roots, covered in the various detritus the forest casts off daily. You are not sure if you are still on the same path, or any path to begin with. Your companions have forgotten you, and you are ready to do the same. You are tired, a little sore, and your mind is on other things. Like, Should I get toothpaste, or can I squeeze just a little more out of the tube..?

Before you know it, you've taken the last turn and reached an exit out of Reindeer Woods. Your companions continue without you, circling one another like planetary bodies, in sync but many miles away from one another. You think back on your hike, and you remember little, if anything. All that you know is that you have put some miles on your feet.

* * * * *

My read-ometer, likewise, reads 192 more miles and one more trip. And now this book goes on the shelf, this review gets posted, and I head to other places.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children in Reindeer Woods.

message 1: by Jacob (new)

Jacob You been keeping up with your OLB reads? I fell behind a bit, only read three of the ten I got this past year, and Children in Reindeer Woods is the last one I got before my subscription expired. I probably won't renew--some of the latest titles don't sound interesting, some of the upcoming ones look good (another Quim Monzo collection), hard to tell though. I should probably work through the ones I already have, right?

Daniel Jacob wrote: "You been keeping up with your OLB reads? I fell behind a bit, only read three of the ten I got this past year, and Children in Reindeer Woods is the last one I got before my subscription expired. ..."

I hear ya, I am so behind in these books, something like five or six deep. I keep meaning to get back to them, and I keep picking up other books instead.

I have to admit: I am less interested in this subscription as the months go by. Some of these titles just have not worked for me, while the ones that rock my world are few and far between.

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Daniel wrote: "Speaking of 'world,' the last book that I received is another by the other of "My Two Worlds," which was a huge snore-fest for me. I am not thrilled. "

Yeah, I noticed that Chejfec had another one coming out, and I was very, very happy my subscription expired before it did. Didn't make it more than three pages into "My Two Worlds" before giving up.

I don't really regret subscribing, though--I mean, I probably would've spent that $100 on books anyway, so checking out a publisher I was unfamiliar with (and expanding my reading habits a bit) didn't hurt. And I'm sure a few of the ones I haven't read yet are good. (did you read "Thrown into Nature"?) I'll just have to try out a different small press next time.

Daniel Jacob wrote: "...and I'm sure a few of the ones I haven't read yet are good. (did you read "Thrown into Nature"?) I'll just have to try out a different small press next time. "

I haven't read Thrown yet, and I look forward to picking it up. Both "The First Suicide" and "The Cyclist Conspiracy" also look good.

Honestly, all the fault for my falling behind can be placed at the foot of "Game of Thrones," "Clash of Kings," and "Storm of Swords." That trio bonked me upside the head and then took over my reading life for many (happy) weeks.