Chris Weems's Reviews > The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

Nov 23, 12

Read from July 17 to November 23, 2012

Reality always seems to be one small quirk away from being what it seems. An unexpected turn here, surprise there...deception. The world as Syme knows it is in constant flux and every time he thinks he has it figured out, it takes a turn. He follows a windy path in this allegory that we all seem to follow in life. The world as we see it is not its truest form. The point is to stick to your convictions and keep your oaths even as the path winds and the world seems to flip over and over. The person you make out to be your greatest enemy with the utmost confidence, is never quite what he seems. Chesterton did well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Was Thursday.

Quotes Chris Liked

G.K. Chesterton
“Why does each thing on the earth war against each other thing? Why does each small thing in the world have to fight against the world itself? Why does a fly have to fight the whole universe? Why does a dandelion have to fight the whole universe? For the same reason that I had to be alone in the dreadful Council of the Days. So that each thing that obeys law may have the glory and isolation of the anarchist. So that each man fighting for order may be as brave and good a man as the dynamiter. So that the real lie of Satan may be flung back in the face of this blasphemer, so that by tears and torture we may earn the right to say to this man, 'You lie!' No agonies can be too great to buy the right to say to this accuser, 'We also have suffered.”
G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare

G.K. Chesterton
“Shall I tell you the secret of the whole world? It is that we have only known the back of the world. We see everything from behind, and it looks brutal. That is not a tree, but the back of a tree. That is not a cloud, but the back of a cloud. Cannot you see that everything is stooping and hiding a face? If we could only get round in front--”
G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday