Sierra Hastings's Reviews > Flicker

Flicker by Kaye Thornbrugh

Jul 16, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, lovely-covers, young-adult
Read from January 01 to 02, 2013

In Kaye Thornbrugh's debut novel, sixteen-year-old Lee Capren stumbles into a world not quite her own. Full of magical beings - faeries, dryads, all sorts of spirits - this hazy world enchants Lee and takes her under its spell as she spends her time using her artistic talents to paint portraits of Faerie nobility. However, when Lee is pulled away from this world back into her own, she finds that years have passed her by. Unable to return to the comfort of her past, she settles in with those who have saved her from her servitude. However, it soon becomes aware that she won't escape this magical world so easily and Lee and her new friends must fight for their lives.

With so many novels centered on this sort of fantastic, action and romance driven plot, it can be easy not to notice Flicker. But what makes this book stand out, when stripped of all of the supernatural creatures, is the writing. Reading like prose, Thornbrugh creates a world that is easy for the reader to slip into and to become immersed in. Lavish and rich with details, I found that it was never hard to picture the scenes that are painted throughout the novel. And while this made some of the scenes hard to get through at times, it made for a much more complete picture at the end.

What I found most enjoyable about Flicker were the characters. Lee, Nasser, Filo, Jason, Alice - all of them were absolutely captivating, each with their own unique histories, tendencies, and those minor details that make them feel real. Even Byrony, while an antagonist in the novel, has her own story that the reader can relate to and sympathize with. While I didn't feel as though Kendall's scenes were very necessary to the story, I can see that they provide the circular sense of touching back on where Lee starts.

One thing that I would have liked to see more of was the actual Faerie world. While there were touches of it throughout the novel, I wasn't left satisfied on that part. Because of the similar elements of Flicker to other Fae stories, I was hoping to have more of that entirely magical sense throughout. That said, the hints throughout the novel were wonderfully captured - with the redcaps, the boggarts, the peaks into the Court and the background there, and even where Byrony came from - these scenes were breathtaking. I just would have liked to see more of this.

Overall, I would definitely recommend reading this novel. Beautifully written, with magical prose and captivating characters, Flicker is a must-read for those who love fantasy, romance, and action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flicker.

01/01/2013 page 125