Jim's Reviews > Grave Sight

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Oct 21, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-urban, series, 1paper, 2fiction
Read in March, 2009

I really liked Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, so I thought I'd give this series a try. It's pretty good. The world is ours - no vampires or other fantasy creatures in this book. Harper, like Sookie, has a limited paranormal ability - she can find dead people & see them, along with the few seconds of their death. The limitations of her 'gift' make the story more interesting.

As a heroine, I didn't like Harper as well as Sookie. She's not a happy girl, more depressed & dwelling on her past too often (which she admits). She's a lot more vulnerable, but shows the same stubborn streak along with a moral sense that demands she 'makes things right'. She has a tougher time of it, too. She travels a lot & isn't well received.

The writing is the same as the Sookie series. Well done, quick & easy to read. The plot was well done & exactly what I'd expect from Harris. The character of Harper permeates the book (as it should, since she's telling the story) & she's just not as upbeat as Sookie, so I didn't end the book with the same optimism, but I'm looking forward to reading the next!
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Sight.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jamie I don't like this series as well as the Sookie books. I also find Harper depressing - her voice feels like a droning monotone.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Very similar to my take on it, Jamie. Did you ever read the second book? I have it in my to-read pile. I'm hoping she'll lighten up a little.

Jamie I've read all three of these. They aren't bad but they get even more gloomy, and in the third book Harris takes the Harper/Tolliver relationship in a direction I didn't like.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie This might be of interest:
CBS is developing a new TV series based on the Harper Connelly series of books by Charlaine Harris. Like the first novel in the series, the show will be called Grave Sight.
You can read more at: http://eztv.it/tvnews/5506/cbs-is-dev...

I haven't even heard of this series til I read the above article. Do you think it'd be worth watching if it makes it to the TV schedule?

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Thanks for mentioning that, Jackie. It could be good. My biggest beef with the series is Harper's whining over her tough childhood. It was rotten, but she does it so often I just lost any empathy I might have had.

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie That won't play well on TV either if they choose to do it. But with limited time, I would hope they'd forego the whining.