Jessica's Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, arc, rated-2-5
Read in July, 2012

I will save the summary of the plot as it is right up at the top of the page next to the cover. I found The Lost Girl very well written, the emotions came across strong and for the most part true. I enjoyed the play of emotions that both girls have and how helpless they feel with no real control over their own life and autonomy.

I like that the characters are not black and white, we have no strong feel for why several of the adults do what they do nor which side they will finally fall on. Several have made choices that they are struggling to live with and others know their place and do their best in a less than perfect situation.

I struggled with the lifestyle of the teenagers in Inda. I could not figure out why place the story in India and then have the lifestyle and talk so Americanized that the reader forgets that it is India. This made it difficult to stay in the story at times.

I also felt that the foreshadowing of a love triangle was unnecessary (I can't be the only one tired of these).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate Bond Totally agree about the useless love triangle. But at least there was a reason for it, and it wasn't one bland heroine having to choose between the sweet boy and the dark, sexy one.

The logic flaws pulled me out more than anything. Especially the marks all echoes have on their necks. How could they possibly fit in and become the dead person with a mark on their neck that everyone can readily recognize--even teenagers in a country where echoes are illegal.

Dana Katie wrote: "Totally agree about the useless love triangle. But at least there was a reason for it, and it wasn't one bland heroine having to choose between the sweet boy and the dark, sexy one.

The logic fla..."

I agree that having a mark on the neck of an echo was nonsensical. If the author really liked the idea of echoes being marked, it should have been in a place very easy to conceal/hide. There were some other holes in the story, but I enjoyed it overall.

I think it would have felt more real if Eva had shown a wider range of emotions about her circumstances- especially when things became more dire.