Brandy's Reviews > The Miracle Inspector

May 29, 13

bookshelves: nook, reviewed
Recommended to Brandy by: layeredpages.com
Read from August 03 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

As published at Layeredpages.com: A refreshingly original piece of literature, The Miracle Inspector will spur you to think in new ways. Helen Smith has created a world where women are so marginalized in futuristic London that they cannot leave their homes without full body coverings. Although the setting is in the future, the story is not set so far in the future as to be unbelievable or unrecognizable which only serves to further invest the reader in the journey.

While weaving the separate strands of this story into a cohesive tapestry Smith endears us to the main couple through her descriptions of their everyday lives, thoughts, and dreams. Simultaneously, an understanding of Lucas’s family history evolves among the pages revealing a tumultuous, if slightly scandalous, past. The details of Lucas and Angela’s planned escape from this new London smacks of accounts of refugee outflows from war torn third world countries. It is this rendering of a modern western society reduced to “an oppressive place where poetry has been forced underground, theatres and schools are shut, and women are not allowed to work outside the home” which spurs thoughts on how life could change in an instant if we allow fear to overcome rationality.

Smith has won a well-deserved Arts Council Award for The Miracle Inspector. I would recommend this book to readers looking for an unconventional love story, or those interested in themes about overcoming oppression. Also, for the descriptions of poetry and art, this book would appeal to those with an interested in performing and activist arts. Full disclosure: I have been provided a copy of the book for the purpose of providing feedback and a review; however the opinions presented are my own and not influence or dictated by publisher or author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracle Inspector.

08/03/2012 page 32