Daniel Gamboa 's Reviews > The Price of Salt

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith

Jul 16, 2012

I was always a little reluctant to read this novel because I've never been into romantic novels. However, I like Patricia Highsmith's books, so I decided to go for it after being in my bookcase for a year.

What a fine novel! There's the apprehension typical in Highsmith's books. Therese is a character in crisis. I admit that she comes off as a bit naive and infantile now and again, but one of the points of this novel is to show Therese's coming of age without making it a cliche. In the book, she grows from an insecure and naive girl into a woman who knows what she wants and embraces who she is.

I wish the ending of this novel weren't of common knowledge. I would've enjoyed it so much more if I'd not known how it ended, but that never stopped me from feeling intrigued and hooked up by the plot. I've just finished it and I still feel under the spell of this fine book.

I do admit that Carol and Therese should've interacted more or have more meaningful dialogues. Sometimes, I felt as if they had a crush on each other, the way teenagers do, rather than actually being in love.

"The Price of Salt" is among my favorite books along with "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Strangers on a Train".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Salt.