Drew Nevitt's Reviews > Inexcusable

Inexcusable by Chris Lynch

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-lit
Read from July 14 to 16, 2012

Hmm, I think I'm still getting used to the teen-lit genre and what it's trying to accomplish. I thought the book was insightful, and clear on how someone with a "good boy" mindset can get himself into trouble, and the confidence and popularity that comes from one event in school, propelling him towards such. Yet, I felt there was something untold when I got to the end. Now, before you think of me a pervert, hear me out: the narrative between current time and the past was quite creative, and I liked it a lot; and the reader can clearly infer what happened because of it -- yet in the very climactic part, there was no turn in her reaction or response that warranted the ending that we had. And I don't mean that she didn't do anything to deserve it, but that her change in mind seemed very much to have turned on a dime. She was passionate, and then in the next chapter she said he raped her. We get many times that she said no, and of course, like any gentleman, he should have stopped, but when did she? It doesn't make clear sense. A rapist has to use violence to subdue his victim. She sat on the other bed, conversing with him after. She walked out, while he cried on the bed. Earlier in the book he described her hands chasing his like squirrels on a branch, and I expected something like that, or even that she would have struck and bruised HIM, but she didn't. It seems that a female, no matter how small, would be able to respond in some manner that would deter an attacker and especially free herself. Push him off. Slap him. Gouge his eyes out. Stick her finger down her throat and throw up to turn him off. Bend his fingers backwards. Anything they teach you in R.A.D. There was no intimation of violence or defense at all. So, what is this teaching our readers? To fear? To be afraid of boys? That it's your right to imply that you want to make love and when you change your mind to not fight back -- that to passively submit to the will of another is your right? False! You're right is to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! Defend each of those! If the reader cannot see how literally laying down does not apply to them -- well, they should be reading a different kind of book.
Up until that point, it was a good book. I enjoyed the protag's journey into popularity, and found everything else in the work to be enjoyable, albeit while unremarkable. The father-son relationship was interesting, and I liked it. For the side of life it tells, and the truth about teen drinking and drug use, it is good. I would recommend it for a freshman girl who is a freshman in high school, give or take a year or two, but I would follow it up with some kempo classes.

Warnings:
Drugs - lots of parent approved teen drinking, a few chapters with cocaine and pills.
Sex - it's a book about rape, so yes. It's not explicit though.
Language - not much, and nothing beyond farmer's cursewords.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inexcusable.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sierra "A rapist has to use violence to subdue his victim." Not exactly! Any time sex is not consensual it's rape. A husband can rape his wife. Any time one person say stop and the other person doesn't stop, it's rape.

What you're missing is that Keir's whole life was a series of justifications. He refused to feel bad about the football player he crippled because it was ruled an accident. And he refused to feel bad about having sex with a girl that didn't want to have sex with him because she told him she loved him and she kissed him. When he explains that they had sex, Keir tells readers he was holding her arms above her head. He wasn't violent, but he also didn't really allow her to move.

There's no way Keir is going to tell the whole story because he's a "good guy" and a good guy wouldn't have done what he just did. He was an incredibly unreliable narrator and just because his narration didn't include Gigi saying no doesn't mean she was lying when she told him she did.

Sierra ALSO! She didn't imply she wanted to have sex with him. She was sleeping...

message 3: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth Caplin Spoken as someone who has never been raped. You, sir, are not only sadly ignorant, but you are also using shame to push victims back into a "silent closet," making them even more afraid to tell their stories out of fear that no one will believe them. Congratulations. I don't know how you sleep at night.

Drew Nevitt You're rhetoric demands that the reader asks the questions, how do you know I haven't been raped, and were you raped?

Drew Nevitt Your*