Kristen's Reviews > Crossroads

Crossroads by J.J. Bonds

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, urban-fantasy, vamps, ya, romance
Read in August, 2012

GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy
THEME: Vampire
RECEIVED: Bought
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
After doing the cover reveal for Red Dawn the second book in the Crossroads Academy, I hand to read this series a.s.a.p. Crossroads I thought was going to be just like all the other vampire books based in schools, but this one packed a kick that hooked me from the beginning. The lead Katia was determined, independent and hiding something I was shocked about. I liked being surprised and Crossroads was a thrill.

Crossroads follows Katia a very independent young vampire and only heir to the most powerful vampire in existence. She is sent to Crossroads Academy to learn more about who she is, but she can hide from the nightmares of her past and it keeps her from connecting to others. Just when she starts to feel normal, making a friend, meeting a boy, the past comes back with bodies turning up. Now her past is about to make one shocking appearance.

Katia, I absolutely connected to this girl, she strongly independent and seriously has her priorities together. She is determined to be a Linkuri, warrior types who work for the council. But she also has a good heart, she befriends another vampire who is ill and cant stand the rich prissy girls who are fake. I loved her relationship with her Uncle Aldo and his wife Lissette, they were so good to her and only want the best.

Nik is the popular boy who has the same goal as Katia, to be a Linkuri and not follow in his father’s footsteps to be in the council. But he has a pretty poor choice in friends; Lexie, Jane, and Blaine enjoy being cruel to Katia. He thinks its out of fear of her uncles power, I felt Katia handled them great with putting a little fear in them. Yes, it might not be the best way but they way they treat her they deserve it. I like how Nik has a soft spot for Katia and sees a lot of potential and strength in her, he really is sincere when he starts training her in fighting.

The vampires in this book have the idea of Pureblood are the best and mixed blood are the bottom of the barrel. Its interesting to learn the history behind the academy and their beliefs and how Katia is a big part of hopefully a new change. The villain of Crossroads isn’t known for a while and I wished we got a little more background and who else might be involved. But in the end this book has all the goodies, romance, action, vampires and a plot with a great twist.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel that keeps on surprising you throughout the story. Fans of Heather Hildrenbrands Dirty Blood series and Jennifer Armentrouts Covenant series will love Crossraods by J.J. Bonds.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossroads.