ScottK's Reviews > Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Dec 10, 08

Read in December, 2008

This was my first attempt at a Jules Verne Novel. While it was very good, there were places that I found myself just skimming the paragraphs for relevant information to the plot. At times I found the Scientific info a bit dreary but forged ahead anyway. I am glad that I did. I think part of my problem as well, was that I watched the movie that had recently come out with Brendan Frazier. I knew that the movie was going to be different than the book, however since it ran along the themes of the Actual book I knew a bit more about what was going to happen than I should have. Was the book enjoyable? Absolutely! I can not wait to get my hands on another Verne, preferably one that has not been made into a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Quotes ScottK Liked

Jules Verne
“We are of opinion that instead of letting books grow moldy behind an iron grating, far from the vulgar gaze, it is better to let them wear out by being read.”
Jules Verne, Journey to the Center of the Earth

11/11/2008 page 81
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Did you pick this up when you were in 'bama? I thought you couldn't find any Verne on island?

message 2: by ScottK (last edited Nov 23, 2008 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ScottK Yeah I got in the land O'Bama. But even there they only had that and Around the World in 80 days. I so can not wait for my first visit back to Powell's !!

Lorena How are you liking this one Scott? We read this as a bed time story and Gabriella LOVED it, I enjoyed it a lot too ... I got a little lost at times with the technical side of things but it didn't seem to bother my Gabi at all.

ScottK I am liking it, I am trying to stick more with EOE since it is sooo much bigger but I do like it so far. I am wauting to watch the movie until after I read the book.

Lorena Oh, I hope you'll like the movie too, it was cute, FYI the movie is like a sub-story about the book, but it won't follow the book ... I don't know if that made sense!

ScottK Yeah You made perfect sense, I hear ya !!

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Yey Scott. Your first Verne, right? Its a good one. Not too overly technical and plenty of action to keep you reading late into the nite!!