Diane's Reviews > Some Things That Stay

Some Things That Stay by Sarah Willis

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 16 to 17, 2012

This was a sweet and tender coming-of-age story set in rural New York in the 1950's. I was hooked from the first sentence," We move each spring, like birds migrating, except we don't go to a familiar place." Tamara Anderson is turning 15 and adolescence is difficult enough without the complications of her unconventional nomadic family. Besides the yearly move to satisfy her artist father's needs, there is the life size nude portrait of her mother hanging in the living room and her insistence on explaining all of nature in vivid detail to her children . Tamara's parents are loving but self-absorbed and Tamara is convinced that they would be "just fine " without kids. The story explores religion, prejudice, illness and loss and author Sarah Willis does an admirable job of portraying the McCarthy Era '50's and an even better job of painting her eccentric characters. She has a terrific ear for language and has her finger on the pulse of adolescence. This is not a "classic" but it IS a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Things That Stay.