Holly Weiss's Reviews > Whispers from the Ashes

Jul 19, 12

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, american-historical-fiction
Read from July 16 to 19, 2012

Via Kindle lending program. I read this partially because it is set in the general proximity to my own novel, Crestmont, but in a time period about which I know little.

This is a debut coming of age story set in 1950s Wilkes Barre, PA. It focuses on the hardships faced because of coal mine fires. Three generations of Molly's family have lived in a home threatened by the fires. Thirteen-year-old Molly unearths secrets long held by her coal-mining family. She solves the mystery by examining diary entries, newspaper clippings and using her vivid imagination.

The novel begins slowly, but soon picks up. It seems historically accurate. Family dysfunction, secrets, poverty and a strong female character you will cheer for combine into a worthwhile read.

Point well made by Molly's father. "Some things are best kept inside. Telling somebody else makes them need to keep a secret, too. Not everybody is good at keeping secrets."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers from the Ashes.