N. Hamilton's Reviews > Evil at Heart

Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain

Jul 17, 12

Chelsea Cain’s third novel again features Gretchen Lowell, a Portland female serial killer, who masquerades as a psychiatrist. Being a Portland psychiatrist myself, as well as a novel junkie, I find this whole notion of a psycho psuedo-therapist rather creepy. That is the point, of course. This super thriller should not be read after eight o’clock at night by anyone who wants to sleep. For the committed insomniac: read away.

Archie Sheridan, the detective who once captured Gretchen has spent months on the Portland Providence Medical Center psych ward, as a result of having his psyche invaded by Gretchen’s evil mind, when, disguised as his psychiatrist, she first seduced him.

In her dust jacket photo, the author appears dressed as the Beauty Killer herself with a red heart dangling from her neck and an alluring and dangerous smile she must have practiced in the mirror for months. How appropriate! Like all great writers of thrillers, Cain captures our attention, seduces us, traumatizes us, and forces us to read on, once we’ve been infected by the evil heart of her fabulous villain. The great thing about fiction is that, unlike true trauma, it can be clever and quirky and funny, in this case, very, very funny. Thank you, Chelsea Cain, for the refuge of your humor. Your readers love you—bless their twisted little hearts. I am among them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evil at Heart.