Kori's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

Jul 16, 12

Read from July 13 to 16, 2012

A complete page-turner. What happens when a parent cannot be objective about their own child's weaknesses and problematic behaviors? What happens when a parent wants to protect their child, as well as the life they wanted for themselves so desperately that they end up causing much more damage than good? In different degrees, parents grapple with how much to protect their children, how to be objective about their children, and when to step in and do something about their children. This book explores the conflicts which occur when a family struggles with these issues in an extreme situation. Other interesting themes in this book are nurture vs. nature, philosophies and tendencies within the criminal justice system, and how tragedy can turn a family/marriage upside down within a couple of hours. The book also made me aware again about how a criminal accusation, in the age of Google, can pretty much destroy a person and their family for a lifetime and it will follow the person/their family everywhere they go. It made me feel more sympathetic, esp towards the families of those accused of crimes. I'm thankful God is a God who is near to the brokenhearted, and I pray for those who have gone through the hellish experience of having a loved one accused and/or imprisoned. Selfishly, this book made me thankful for the freedom my family and I enjoy...but deeper still, it made me thankful that no matter what tragedies might befall loved ones or I: God is my rock. Always.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.