dara's Reviews > Somewhere in a Desert

Somewhere in a Desert by Dominique Sigaud

Nov 05, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, reviewed
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

I read this book a couple of months ago, and I had actually entirely forgotten that I had until I stumbled upon a library receipt. I think that's a clear enough indication of how memorable this book is, and I'm only taking the time to write about it at all because no one else has so much as even rated it at this point.

The novel takes place during the end of the Gulf War, along the Iraq/Saudi Arabia border, where the body of an American soldier is found by Muslim villagers. The women of the village sneak out to view the body, and miraculously the dead man begins speaking to them of his life, particularly the wife he left behind. Meanwhile, the soldier is reported missing and his wife leaves America in search for his body. Once discovered, she begins a romance with the man who helped her during the search. By once discovered, I mean the night of or the day after--I can't remember exactly, but I do remember that she wasted no time in sleeping with another man as soon as her widow status was confirmed. Race--particularly that the wife is African American--is stressed quite often, but without much significance. The only point of interest was that, although no one else discovers it, the soldier had been shot by a villager, the son of a blind man. Why is not revealed--neither is there any given explanation of the supernatural link between the dead man and the village women. Nothing of consequence is revealed at all. Even the short length of the book didn't justify its pointlessness. In the end, it is just rather forgettable. I had to struggle to remember even this much of the plot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere in a Desert.