Patrice Caldwell's Reviews > Cinderella Complex

by: Rebekah L. Purdy

(Author Interview here)

My Review

Owl rating:

Have you ever wished you were a fairy godmother...no, well neither has Maggie.

All Maggie Winters wants is her happily ever after with her prince charming, Connor Prince, who just happens to drive a white Ford Mustang Convertible (one of the many loves of my life)...yeah, he's her white knight...

Then everything changes when Maggie finds out that her grandmother is the Fairy Godmother and that now it is Maggie's turn.

I loved this book, how could I not?? Rebekah L. Purdy took your typical, Cinderella, happily ever after story and gave it a major twist.  As a writer myself it is a storyline I would have never thought of, that many people have never thought of...why not just make the main character the Fairy Godmother instead of Cinderella...(read: genius)

From the very moment I opened my Kindle to read this book, I did not want to put it down...unfortunately my writing time called.  Maggie winters is an easily relatable character, her parents are divorced, her mother is a busy lawyer, and while she has very loyal friends she is practically a social outcast as a result of her constant bullying by Katrina Melville (aka the Wicked Witch of the West...those Mean Girls have nothing on her).  Oh, Katrina Mellville, now she is a character.   I have read books where the main characters were wonderful but the supporting characters...not so much.  In The Fairy Godmother Files: Cinderella Complex, you will find none of that.  I think she almost gave me nightmares; by the time I got past the first few pages in the book I already wanted her dead (yeah, she's that evil aka a very well created character).

To be honest at that point I was very satisfied with this book, easily already a four owl rating.  Until Purdy brings in the Grimms...five owl heaven...the Grimms are creatures of the shadow and it is their sole goal to ensure that happily ever afters never happen.  Put that plot together with the fact that Maggie Winters is supposed to make Katrina Mellville's happily ever after with Conner Prince come true and you have got a winner.

Not to mention that the writing is good as well.  Having a good plot with great twists and turns is one thing but producing a book with great writing is another.  To all of those agents out there who passed up this book...you missed out.  Purdy's writing and plot flow together so well that you won't even realize that you spent the past three hours in the same position reading her book (...a day in the life of me).

Now I know I have said this before but seriously, especially if you have a weakness for fairy tale retellings (or redesignings in this case), you have to go and read (cough, cough buy) this book.

**I received this book from its Author Rebekah L. Purdy, this is a 100% honest review.**

Whimsically Yours,

PnC

If you wish to have me review your book, click here, to see my Review Policy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Complex.

08/05/2012
100.0% "Amazing!!! 5 owls!!!...review to come!"