Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > Perchance to Dream

Perchance to Dream by Peter Lukes

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books, adventure, science-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone who loves noir science fiction
Read from July 16 to August 04, 2012, read count: 1

What if police officers could view the dreams of criminals? How many criminals would it remove from the streets? How many crimes would it prevent? Would it even be legal?

And what if someone learned how to control the dream world--to twist it to their own ends?

And what if they weren't in control at all?

Peter Lukes' debut novel, Perchance to Dream, takes the reader on a gripping adventure deep into a world where police can invade dreams to gather information on possible criminals. It requires extensive training and technology, and so the duty is relegated to only a few. But it is a powerful law enforcement tool.

Except that some dreamwalkers are disappearing into the dream, leaving their comatose bodies behind. Behind the scenes an evil man wants to use the technology as a weapon. And there are questions about where the dreamworld actually comes from and who really controls it.

The story follows Manuel Corr, one of the "Sub-Con" police officers, who stumbles across a terrible secret in the dreamworld. His discovery opens the door to the incredible possibilities of the new world and puts him face-to-face with those who wish to use it for their own evil ends.

Lukes crafts a believable, yet fantastic, world that deftly combines the gritty noir settings and characters of Blade Runner and the incredible, yet familiar dream sequences of Inception. The mystery draws the reader in and the philosophic ideas its presents keeps the reader thinking about it long after they have finished.

The book is not perfect. It could use more character development, especially for some of the side characters, including the villains and Corr's once-girlfriend. And I wished that the mystery of the big baddie was stretched quite a bit longer, as I felt that was the strongest, most engrossing part of the story. And finally, because the book is an introduction to a series, the ending leaves a bit to be desired. However, none of those issues got in the way of the story.

In the end, I found the book to be fun, fascinating read. It frustrated me whenever life forced me to put it down because I wanted to read it straight through.

I can't wait to see where Lukes takes his dreamworld next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perchance to Dream.

07/16/2012
5.0% "Book from a GoodReads friend. I'm not very far in, yet, but I already really like his style."
07/17/2012
10.0% "Really enjoying the "Inception" vibe I'm getting from the book so far—and for some reason it also reminds me a little of "Otherland" by Tad Williams. Both are VERY good things. Here's to hoping it stays this good throughout."
07/18/2012
20.0% "Love the noir aspect of this story. Including a fedora was a nice touch. Great fun so far."
07/31/2012
90.0% "Getting close to the finish. Curious how it will all end up. I still like the Inception-vibe from the story, though it has gone to places I didn't expect."

message 1: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Jeffery Moulton I actually really liked it. It was a lot of fun and very original. I loved the noir/sci-fi/fantasy vibe throughout, and I'm really curious where you are going to take it next.

I will post a detailed review very soon. The problem is that I just wrapped up three very, VERY intense weeks and I'm working on getting my own book out by the end of the month, so you can imagine that things are very crazy. I'm hoping to get to it tonight. Sorry it has taken so long. It's been a tough month and I'm behind on just about everything!

message 3: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter No worries! I'm truly honored that you liked it. Book two is almost done and I think it's establishing the foundation for a neat series. PS- with five kids I'm impressed that you have time to read a book, let alone review them AND write one while you're at it!