Debbie (at) I Heart YA Books's Reviews > Cascade

Cascade by Maryanne O'Hara

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: edelweiss

Cascade was a totally different kind of novel than I normally read. And I have to say, it was a wonderful novel. The Historicals I usually read have a paranormal element to them. Maryanne O'Hare has given me a beautiful story about Dez whose life is torn between following her heart for the life she wanted for herself, and one that will cause her to sacrifices it for her promise to her deceased father. O'Hare’s writing style is a delight, too! I was so easily pulled into Dez's life— as an artist—and the man she loved.

Dez never thought she would have to give up the life she truly wanted to live, but after the national economic failure of the 1930's, and her father death, she’s forced into one she doesn’t want. She makes her father a promise on his death bed that she will take care of her father's theater. So for her to honor he promise, she has to marry Asa, a friend who will give her finical security. After she marries Asa, she meets Jacob, who is also an artist like Dez. And when her friend Abby comes to visit her, Dez starts to long for the life she has sacrificed. Dez desires to be an artist and she also desires love from a man who’s not her husband.

Cascade is a heart-felt story of Dez reclaiming her independence to live the life as the artist she always wanted to be, but when it comes to the love some things she can never have. I recommend Cascade as a read for all women. It’s a wonderful story, showing the struggle and hardships of a earlier time where women have to sacrifice for their independence.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cascade.