Kätlin's Reviews > The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

I must have been around 10, possibly younger, when I found this book on one of my Grandma's many bookshelves. The picture on the cover of the Estonian version printed in 1973 seemed very cool to me, depicting the head of the hound, furious and snarling, showing the teeth. I remember reading the story and not being able to put it down until I knew the conclusion. It was so captivating and so well written. I remember the part where the original legend of the hound was described, and the part where the murder scene of Charles was described, including the large tracks of a dog. I remember the shiver that ran down my spine because even if I knew there are no hell hounds out there, the text was just so good that it still made me feel slightly frightened.

I've re-read the text many times many years later, and it still hasn't lost its charm for me. It's perfect. It's fast-paced and clever. There's a touch of mystery. The descriptions of the people and the scenes are great. You really can almost feel the chill wind on the moor and hear the howling of the hound somewhere far away in the darkness and mist. I think it's one of the most perfect thrillers ever written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of the Baskervilles.