Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Elvenbane, The

Elvenbane, The by Andre Norton

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: didn-t-finish, skimmed

I see that many really enjoyed this book and that many others found it, "not bad". I'm in a definite minority in rating it a 1 star book and maybe I'd consider going 2 stars except for one thing. I disliked it enough to lay it aside.

I see flashes here of why many like this one and my one star rating is strictly subjective, it's my experience of the book. The characters were a bit stock to begin with and I just couldn't get involved with them. The first one we meet, angry at what's been done to her (as she looks at it)and in a bad way. Yet I just didn't get drawn in to the story. It left me cold. When I met the Dragons I believe that the story is again supposed to draw us in and make us care about the participants. I just never did.

I'm sorry, but I just didn't care.

I got through about 6 or 7 chapters and finally, as the saying goes, "laid it by".

Please if this is your taste enjoy but I just don't. As I've said about other books I suspect that I'm simply not the writers' target audience. The narrator's voice was (to me) staid and slow and I found the story (horror death and all) just a bit slow. So, try it for yourself. If it's your taste fine it's not mine however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elvenbane, The.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner I've never cared for Andre Norton as a writer, despite her popularity. Barb and I read one of her books for children back in the 80s; Barb liked it well enough, but it bored me practically to tears (okay, I'm exaggerating for effect, but still...). In the years since then, I've started reading two or three of her adult novels by myself; I couldn't finish any of them, and finally gave up on her. Of course, I never tried her Witch World series, which some say is her best work.

Mike (the Paladin) I liked the first couple of Witch World books...still. I found her when I was in the eighth grade.

message 2: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph I really really like Andre Norton but I find she's not an author for everyone. A lot of her writing is rather slow without much action. I find it pretty fascinating for the most part, especially the Witch World series. I love her world building, too.

I have read this and book 2 but it was years and years ago. I keep meaning to reread it - not sure how it will hold up.

Mike (the Paladin) I found her back in the '60s. I remember the first few of the Witch World series, a book called Star Man and a few others.