Mary-Beth's Reviews > A Red Heart of Memories

A Red Heart of Memories by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

119580
Nov 15, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction

My new favourite fantasy author, definitely. She writes such a crazed and frenetic magic that I can't resist. I have never read anything like it before. The magic is definitely what always drives the plot.

Here we have a friendly ghost, a man who follows spirit in order to decide where his wanderer's life will start up next and who emerges from a wall at the beginning of the story, a woman who hears what man-made objects are thinking and a strange golden magic that responds to people who will open their eyes to it and use it to make things.

I feel like this novel was somewhat scattered in a way, with all of these different types of magic and I am not sure how I felt about the quests to fix broken people, but I love the protagonist again with her shaved head and her army boots and her good will towards everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red Heart of Memories.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Mary Beth, which is your favourite book by this author?

Mary-Beth I've only read two so far - A Fistful of Sky and this one and I can't really say which I liked better. I guess if I had to choose I would say A Fistful of Sky. Once I've read more, I'll let you know if there's another one I liked better.

message 1: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee I'm going to check out some of her other books too. I remember liking a Fistful of Sky despite the strange cover that didn't seem to go with the book at all.