Deb Oestreicher's Reviews > The Best American Short Stories 2011

The Best American Short Stories 2011 by Geraldine  Brooks

Jul 25, 12

Read from July 16 to 25, 2012

This is an excellent collection of short stories. I had read a number of them before because I subscribe to The New Yorker (several of the winning stories were published there first), but they were all worth reading again. In fact, many of the stories drove me back to reread the beginning in any case.

Some favorite stories here include George Saunders' "Escape from Spiderhead" (which convinced me he's actually pretty great after I was sure I'd become sick of him), Jennifer Egan's "Out of Body" (part of her recent novel, A Visit from the Goon Squad), Claire Keegan's "Foster," Richard Powers' "To the Measures Fall," and Joyce Carol Oates' "I.D."

One nice thing about these collections is the "about the author" section at the back of the book. It is nice to learn a little about the authors, and most of them provide a little tidbit or two about the genesis of their stories, which can be interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Short Stories 2011.