Katherine's Reviews > Powder and Patch

Powder and Patch by Georgette Heyer

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: regency-era-clean-romance-novels
Read from August 20 to 21, 2012

Everytime I read a Georgette Heyer novel I think its my favorite so far as I do with this one. If you haven't read a Heyer novel start off with this one as its shorter (about 200 pages) than her others novels and gets straight into the love conflict early on (not as slow as her other novels). Cleone is a beautiful country woman who has an admirer Philip Jettan but he has not toured Europe or become a Gentleman as per her standards. He does not like to be a painted puppet as he put it. When Cleone makes it very clear that she can't marry a man who isn't, Philip is finally motivated to listen to his fathers encouragement to go stay with his uncle in London and learn how to become a Gentlemen. His uncle sends him to Paris where he is refined and becomes quite the thing (even learns how to use his sword which will be needed more than once for a duel over a woman) with loads of charm, friends and French lingo in each sentence. When Cleone sees the real Philip she wants the old Philip back but he doesn't realize that. What a fun read! Of course you know they'll end up together but the journey to that point gets quite hilarious! If I had to give it a 4.5 stars instead of 5 it would be due to the French lines and poems I didn't understand since I don't know any French.. otherwise its a 5 for me!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Powder and Patch.