Greg's Reviews > Batman: Death by Design

Batman by Chip Kidd

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: dc, comics
Read in July, 2012

I got to meet Chip Kidd, and he signed my copy of this book. That was pretty cool. Getting to meet Chip Kidd was better than reading this book though. Opps. I enjoyed the story and the retro-version of Batman, this is the Batman with some modern sensibility but definitely not the dark vigilante of the post Year One / Dark Knight era.

The big problem I had with this comic was the drawing style. I was sort of expecting a really amazing looking Batman book. Chip Kidd is probably my second favorite book designer, and I thought there would be a great physicality to the book, something that has a unique feeling to it, sort of what a Chris Ware designed superhero book could be. Granted the cover and the end papers are very nice looking, but the rest of the book just feels like almost every other superhero graphic novel, and I wasn't crazy about the drawing style of Dave Taylor.

I did find it kind of charming that Chip Kidd was drawn into the story as one of the main characters.

I don't have too much to say about this, I never really know what to write about super-hero graphic novels most of the time.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

Greg Chris Ware, even if he isn't technically a book designer.