Sarah's Reviews > Fifty Shames of Earl Grey

Jul 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own-print, read-in-2012, for-review-read, netgalley
Read from July 23 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I'm a huge fan of the Fifty Shades series but as much as I loved the books I also love to hate them - there are so many things about the series that irritate me that I laughed a lot while reading the books. So of course as soon as I heard about the parody Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin (aka Andrew Shaffer) I wanted to read it. The author has certainly put his own unique twist on the story that we are all now so familiar with and he does a great job of highlighting the things I found ridiculous about the original books. I love the way he has also managed to blend in some jokes about the Twilight series considering this is a parody of a story that started out as Twilight fan fiction.

I think anyone who loved the series will find themselves amused by Fifty Shames of Earl Grey, especially if you are open enough to accept the problems with the original books. Anyone who hated the books will probably adore this though as it will point out all of the things you didn't like about the book in the first place but in a much more humorous way. I don't recommend reading this unless you've read at least the first Fifty Shades book though as I don't think a lot of the jokes would make as much sense if you're not familiar with the characters and storyline.

I don't think I've ever come across an explanation for BDSM that made me laugh as much as this one did:
"I'm a Dungeon Master, Anna."
What? My inner guidette screeches to a halt on her hamster wheel. I have no clue what he's talking about. "What exactly does a Dungeon Master do?"
"I'm into BDSM," he says.
"Is that a workout thing, like Zumba?"
"No, Anna, it's not anything like Zumba. BDSM is a live-action role-playing game: Bards, Dragons, Sorcery and Magick. I play with women in my dungeon and things can get a little . . . hot."

I enjoyed Fifty Shames of Earl Grey and I did laugh out loud a couple of times while reading but I have to say there were a few points when I felt the book was trying just a little too hard to be funny. It was still a quick, amusing read though and one I'd recommend to anyone who wants to laugh at the phenomena that Fifty Shades of Grey has turned into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shames of Earl Grey.

07/23/2012 page 31
14.0% "It feels like this is trying just a bit too hard to be funny"
07/23/2012 page 118
53.0% "This is quite amusing & definitely a quick read but it's not quite as funny as I was hoping it would be"