Heather's Reviews > Dark Star

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: arcs, teen, adventure, fantasy, paranormal, thriller, action, netgalley
Read from July 16 to 18, 2012

Audrey Whitticomb’s mom is a superhero. No, really. Every night she goes out and fights crime in the Minneapolis, Minnesota tri-cities area. Audrey worries about her, but hey, that’s what she was born to do. Then one day Audrey finds out her mom isn’t really out fighting muggers, bank robbers, and would-be killers. Nope. She’s fighting something worse - demons. They’re stealing, draining, and killing teenage girls, looking for the blood of the chosen one to help them cross over into our world. And if that happens, one superhero won’t be enough to stop the carnage that follows.

This novel was not what I expected. I skimmed the description, thought “superhero, cool,” and started reading. What I found was a paranormal coming of age novel. Though the demon hunting and the mystery of the disappearing girls is a prominent storyline, just as important are the personal revelations. Audrey’s mother has kept her in the dark about so many things, and in the course of this tale the teenager discovers family secrets, the existence of demons and demon fighters, a community/tribe, and a better sense of who she is. The ending wraps up most of the questions, but leaves just enough to tempt the reader with the prospect of future titles in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Star.

07/18/2012