Hannah Jane's Reviews > The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: fiction

What I loved: the moments of brilliance and hilarity. I also loved Edgar's relationship with Art.
What I liked: The first half of the book just zipped by. I couldn't put it down. I even read it standing up in the middle of the dishwasher section at Sears while waiting for my significant other to make a decision (I let him pick out a dishwasher because of this book HOLY CRAP).
What I didn't like: The ending was so rushed. I feel cheated out of over half of Edgar's life. I also did not understand the relationship between Barry and Edgar, and additionally why Edgar treated him like crap. What was going on there? Sure, Barry was a spooky druggie, but in a twisted and bizarre way he seemed to be looking out for Edgar. It totally didn't help that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get Barry Weiss from Storage Wars out of my head. And as we all know, Barry Weiss is kind of a cute old fart. Perhaps I made him the Barry in this book because he's also slightly crazy.
Overall, it was an entertaining read, but I do not feel a sense of enjoyment. I just feel confused and riled. And I'm not sure if that makes the book a good book, unless that was the aim of Udall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint.