Jessica 's Reviews > A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works

A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works by Jonathan Swift

Nov 22, 08

bookshelves: classics, favorites, non-fiction

Swift's satire, A Modest Proposal, was not well-known or well-read in his life. Of course, given the nature of the piece--the desperate need for change in Ireland--lack of recognition was difficult.

I have read and taught this many times. Most students don't understand the depths of the satire or the excellent argument structure presented in this essay.

Swift's ability to develop his argument in the way he has makes the piece an excellent read for anyone looking to understand the many forms of developing argument.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dallas (new)

Dallas I remember this from the time you taught it to me at Roosevelt. I didn't get all the depths, but you are right: the argument structure was excellent and this is a good piece to teach!

Jessica Dallas, Try it again (making certain you have the full essay--some are edited). After you read it, go back and figure out the argument strategy. It is truly magnificent. .. but definitely takes work (well worth it). Jess