Marc's Reviews > Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust

Trust Agents by Chris Brogan

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: social-media
Read in January, 2010

"Trust Agents" is one of the seminal books in the Social Media genre. So many other authors have copied Chris Brogan's approach to discussing Social Media that he has been elevated to one of the chief "Gurus" along with a few others that include Interactive Media "thought-leaders" Brian Solis and Seth Godin.

In this book, Brogan sets the ground rules for Social Media engagement. At the root of all relationships - on line and off - are trust, authenticity and respect for audience wants and wishes. The goal of all of this is to establish integrity and reputation. The author goes on to explain what the ground rules are for using Social Media; rules that lead to strong relationship building and marketing success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trust Agents.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Ken (last edited Jul 20, 2012 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken Montville Marc,

I have to disagree with you on this one. Chris Brogan and, to a lesser degree, Julien Smith, are, indeed, social media thought leaders. However, I'm thinking that they became thought leaders, in part, because they got in at the beginning of the movement.

I read Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust when it first came out and I was a little nonplussed. Yes, it is well written and has some interesting concepts such as the importance of being authentic and engaging with others from a position of integrity or becoming the trusted "go-to" source for information in your niche.

With a little thought and common sense, though, these ideas should come to most people seeking to make a name for themselves and, thus, a living from social media.

Quite honestly, I thought the book was a little bit on the didactic side. I like Chris' blog posts for the most part, however, and enjoy reading his posts on Google+.

BTW, Seth's last name is Godin (I'm sure that's a typo in your review) and I have an opinion about him, too. But that's another story.

All the best. I enjoy following your reading.

message 1: by Marc (last edited Jul 20, 2012 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Yes...it's Godin (typo corrected!) Thank you!

My point is that at some point, everybody picks out their very first book on a particular subject they maybe interested in.

Certainly, much of what is shared in "Trust Agents" has already been repeated by others (especially, since this book has been out for awhile now.

Still..the book covers alot of very good ground and if it doesn't teach us many new concepts by today's standards; it surely reinforces alot of the agreed upon basics, all in one well-written book.

The "entry-level" reader will definitely gain alot of valuable insight into the basic ground rules of Social Media engagement.

In any case, glad your shared your thoughts.