Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Foundation

Nov 05, 08

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Recommended for: fantasy fans
Read in November, 2008

I'm a Mercedes Lackey fan from way back. I devoured her 'Magic' trilogy and haven't looked back since. This is one fantasy author I continue to buy as soon as her books hit the shelf because I know the story will pull me in and have me cheering for the hero or heroine. Her newest "Foundation" is no exception and as a bonus, it's set in Valdemar!

Mags is an orphan who ended up in the hands of a greedy cruel mine owner as a baby. His work in those mines began as soon as he was old enough to stand and hasn't stopped since. The conditions are harsh and survival is the only thing Mags has ever known. Until the day a beautiful white horse arrives and 'claims' him.

Now, Mags is learning that the world is actually much bigger and much different than he could ever have dreamed. But his fears and lack of knowledge cause him to become a quiet observer of his new life. With the help of his Companion and a few new friends, Mags will needs all his old skills and the new ones he's learning to help foil a plot against Valdemar.

If you love animals, magic, and fantasy, you really owe it to yourself to read some Lackey's work. Her realm of Valdemar stories pull on all your emotions, and although the good guys win, it's not always without loss...just like real life. And some of her stories do include some topics that I wouldn't recommend for young children (in her first series, the hero is gay which is part and parcel of the plot), but older teens could certainly deal with her books. Wile her stories are fantasy, they also deal with many of the same things we all face in life (hopefully on a much smaller scale). Things like: fear, triumph, love, loss, death, war, peace, being different, cruelty, sacrifice, bravery, and courage in the face of impossible odds. I enjoyed her stories in my 20s, my 30s, and still now in my 40s. They are timeless and whichever world she uses, they still speak to living today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.