Tina Dalton's Reviews > Diverse Energies

Diverse Energies by Tobias S. Buckell

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: china, dystopian, family, minority, sci-fi, time-travel, ya, homosexuality
Read in July, 2012

Diverse Energies is a collection of sci-fi short stories that focuses on diversity. The characters of these stories are not the usual white faces of science fiction, and I found the change refreshing. I remember the first time read Orson Scott Card's collection of Mormon-based sci-fi short stories, and how I felt that finally someone had written stories in which I could recognize myself. It is the hope of the editors of this collection that children of diverse and mixed heritages will see themselves in these stories. Readers will find familiar authors among this collection, such as Ursula Le Guin and Paolo Bacigalupi. The stories are varied in theme, ranging from dystopian to time travel to alien worlds. I truly did enjoy reading sci fi set in Asian countries--what a refreshing change! Overall, I feel this book is a must have for both public and school libraries as a valuable addition to any collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diverse Energies.